What are protected branches in GitHub?
You can protect important branches by setting branch protection rules, which define whether collaborators can delete or force push to the branch and set requirements for any pushes to the branch, such as passing status checks or a linear commit history.
How do I remove a protected branch in GitLab?
Users with the Maintainer role and greater can manually delete protected branches by using the GitLab web interface:
- Go to Repository > Branches.
- Next to the branch you want to delete, select the Delete button ( ).
- On the confirmation dialog, type the branch name and select Delete protected branch.
How do you unlock a branch in Git?
icon next to the branch name and then selecting Lock from the menu. A lock icon will appear next to the branch name. Unlock a locked branch by selecting Unlock from the same menu.
How do I delete a closed branch?
Deleting a branch used for a pull request
Under your repository name, click Pull requests. Click Closed to see a list of closed pull requests. In the list of pull requests, click the pull request that’s associated with the branch that you want to delete. Near the bottom of the pull request, click Delete branch.
Why is my branch protected?
Protected branches ensure that collaborators on your repository cannot make irrevocable changes to branches. … If you own a repository with multiple collaborators who create branches and open pull requests, you may need to enforce branch protections to keep your project and pull requests organized and safe.
How do I protect a branch in GitHub?
Creating a branch protection rule
- On GitHub, navigate to the main page of the repository.
- Under your repository name, click Settings.
- In the left menu, click Branches.
- Next to “Branch protection rules”, click Add rule.
- Under “Branch name pattern”, type the branch name or pattern you want to protect.
Can you delete a protected branch?
Deleting a protected branch is only allowed via the web interface, not via Git. This means that people can’t accidentally delete protected branches. In Git, return the following message when attempting to delete a protected branch: For masters/owners/admins: To delete a protected branch, use the web interface.
How do I force push to a protected branch?
GitLab added new setting to enable force push to protected:
- Navigate to your project’s Settings > Repository .
- Expand Protected branches , and scroll to Protect a branch .
- To allow all users with push access to force push, toggle the Allow force push slider.
How do I push to a branch?
Check your branch
- Create and checkout to a new branch from your current commit: git checkout -b [branchname]
- Then, push the new branch up to the remote: git push -u origin [branchname]
How do I pull code from git?
- git pull <remote>
- git pull –no-commit <remote>
- git pull –rebase <remote>
- git pull –verbose.
- git config –global branch.autosetuprebase always.
- git pull.
- git checkout new_feature. git pull <remote repo>
- git checkout main. git pull –rebase origin.
How do I restrict push to master?
Go to a repository in a project. Choose Settings > Branch permissions. Click Add permission.
Select the type of actions you want to prevent.
- Branch deletion – prevents branch and tag deletion.
- Rewriting history – prevents history rewrites on the specified branch(es) – for example by a force push or rebase.
Can you delete master branch in git?
gitlab has set that the master branch as default and protected, which means you can not just remove it from your local machine. You first need to remove the protection and set main as your new default. … Now you are able to delete the master branch.