To prevent others from accessing data in your Excel files, protect your Excel file with a password. … Select File > Info. Select the Protect Workbook box and choose Encrypt with Password. Enter a password in the Password box, and then select OK.
Can you protect an entire workbook in Excel?
You have three choices when it comes to protecting an entire Excel workbook: encrypt the workbook with a password, make the workbook read-only, or protect just the structure of a workbook.
What happens when you protect a workbook in Excel?
To prevent other users from viewing hidden worksheets, adding, moving, deleting, or hiding worksheets, and renaming worksheets, you can protect the structure of your Excel workbook with a password. Note: The screen shots in this article were taken in Excel 2016.
How do you protect a workbook in Excel but allow read only?
You can have Excel make a spreadsheet in read only format for others, so that people can read its contents but not edit them, or you can enforce other content restrictions. To do so, click the “File” tab in the ribbon menu, then click “Info.” Then, click “Protect Document” and choose one of the options presented.
How do you protect cells in Excel without protecting sheet?
Betreff: Lock cell without protecting worksheet
- Start Excel.
- Switch to the “Check” tab and select “Remove sheet protection”. …
- Select all cells by clicking in the top left corner of the table.
- In the “Start” tab, select “Format> Format cells> Protection” and uncheck “Locked”.
How do I restrict editing in Excel?
To restrict editing to a sheet in Excel, use these steps:
- Open the Excel document.
- Click on File.
- Click on Info.
- On the right side, click the Protect Workbook menu.
- Select the Protect current sheet option.
- (Optional) Set a password to unlock the sheet.
- Check the Protect worksheet and contents of locked cells option.
How do you remove protection from an Excel workbook?
Open the workbook that you want to change or remove the password for. On the Review tab, click Protect Sheet or Protect Workbook. Click Unprotect Sheet or Protect Workbook and enter the password. Clicking Unprotect Sheet automatically removes the password from the sheet.
How do I protect a workbook in Excel 2007?
- Open the workbook you want to protect.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, point to Prepare, then click Encrypt Document. (+)
- In the Password box, type a password, then click OK. (+)
- In the Reenter password box, type the password again, then click OK. (+)
- Click Save.
How do I protect certain cells in Excel?
Press the Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl + A to select all the cells of the sheet. Right click and choose Format cells. Go to the Protection tab and uncheck Locked option and click Ok. Now select only the cells or columns, rows that you want to protect.
How do I unlock a protected Excel sheet for free?
Step 1: Open the worksheet you want to unprotect. Step 2: Click on File > Info > Unprotect Sheet. Step 3: Or go to Review Tab > Changes > Unprotect Sheet. Step 4: If the worksheet asked the password for opening, enter the password and click.